I think that people often talk only about their successes online and often in public. This is so far from the case and gives both a skewed view of the person, and if enough people do it, a skewed view of the world.
Whenever you have a failure in your life and 90% of the content you see is failure-free, it can seem like something is just wrong with you when in reality failures are a pretty constant part of anyone's life. I'd like to share some of the ways that I feel like a failure. Some may seem dumb to you and that's fine.
- I feel like a failure for being 27 and not being married.
- I feel like a failure for having so few customers on SporeStack, unable to sustain myself.
- I feel like a failure for staying with my parents for the summer, again. (Did this a couple years ago as well.)
- I feel like a failure because no one seems to be using the Vagabond Workstation, which I poured my heart and soul into.
In some cases, I don't feel like a failure, I just feel bad about an issue. We can call these embarrassments.
- I'm embarrassed that I'm pretty miserable at backing up my trailer.
- I'm embarrassed that I had to look up the word "embarrassed" to correct my spelling on it.
- I'm embarrassed that it took me so long to see the obvious that I needed to make SporeStack easier to use.
While I tend to be fairly confident, I'm aware that there's an awful lot wrong with me. Some things I'm working on, some things I will work on, and some things probably just won't get that much better.